Victoria, BC - Yesterday, the Capital Regional District (CRD) hosted the 2012 EcoStar Community Environmental Awards, which serve to celebrate environmental leaders across the region. As in previous years, winners have shown exemplary social, environmental and community initiative in creating and implementing green programs, practices and projects across the region.
The 2012 EcoStar Awards Ceremony featured local food and beverages and honoured this year’s eight award recipients:
- Waste Reduction: Heritage Office Furnishings (Award sponsored by reFUSE Resource Recovery)
- Waste Reduction Non-Profit: Women in Need Community Cooperative (Award sponsored by reFUSE Resource Recovery)
- Integrated Watershed Management: Bowker Creek Blueprint Project (Award sponsored by Golder Associates)
- Water Stewardship: Superior Restaurant Services (Award sponsored by 98.5 The Ocean)
- Climate Action: Oughtred Coffee and Tea (Award sponsored by BC Transit)
- Climate Action Non-Profit: Saanich School District (Award sponsored by BC Transit)
- Youth Leader: Meaghan Dinney (Award sponsored by the Times Colonist)
- Community Environmental Leader: Frances Litman (Award sponsored by the Capital Regional District)
“The EcoStar Awards are a wonderful opportunity to celebrate the region’s top environmental stewards, and educate residents on the importance of sustainability practices,” said CRD Director and Highlands Mayor, Jane Mendum
Brought to you by the Times Colonist, the 2012 EcoStar Awards are proudly supported by 103.1 Jack FM, 98.5 The Ocean, AVW Telav Audio Video Solutions, BC Transit, the CRD, the City of Victoria, CTV Vancouver Island, the Fairmont Empress, Feys and Hobbs Catered Arts, Geoff Grime Photography, Golder Associates, reFUSE Resource Recovery and Rhymes with Orange Photography.
The ceremony also honoured this year’s winners of the 2012 EcoTunes song writing contest and featured a performance by first place winner Janvieve D’étoile of her song Deep Blue Mystery.
EcoTunes offers a chance for local, professional and amateur songwriters of all ages to celebrate the region’s landscapes and natural areas through music while supporting local arts and encouraging environmental awareness.
The 2012 EcoTunes contest is proudly supported by Larsen Music and 103.1 Jack FM.
For more information please contact:
Andy Orr, Senior Manager
CRD Corporate Communications