CRD Parks & Environmental Services encourages the wise and efficient use of our regional drinking water through education, technology, policy measures and research.
Greater Victoria enjoys some of the highest quality drinking water in the world at a reasonable cost - maintaining this critical resource requires each of us to be make water wise choices each and every day.
Have a Water-wise Home for the Holidays
Over the season, our homes often become a little fuller while our wallets become a little emptier. Even as the winter rains replenish our reservoir, it is important to practice being water wise to ensure we are ready for the hot and dry summer months.
In the Kitchen
Save water by planning ahead of time. Dry thaw your turkey in the fridge, rather than under running water. Use this reference table to determine when to start your thaw.
|Up to 12 lbs
||4 - 6
||1 - 3 days
|12 - 16 lbs
||8 - 10
||3 - 4 days
|16 - 20 lbs
||10 - 13
||4 - 5 days
|20 - 24 lbs
||13 - 16
||5 - 6 days
- Run full loads of dishes in your dishwasher. Washing by hand can use more water than a fully loaded dishwasher.
- Scrape dishes of food waste into your organics tote instead of rinsing them under running water.
- When washing dishes by hand, do not wash or rinse with running water. Use tubs or plug the sink.
- Compost kitchen waste (organic matter) instead of using a garburator. Garburators consume hundreds of litres of water each week.
- Rinse fruit and vegetables in a pan instead of running water continuously and use the water for indoor and outdoor plant watering.
- Keep drinking water in the refrigerator instead of running the tap for cold water.
- When preparing vegetables by boiling or steaming, save the water and use as broth or a base in other recipes such as gravies and soups.
- Remember, clean water begins at home, so what you put down the drain matters!
In the Bathroom
Test your toilet for a leak before the holidays. Repair or replace your toilet if necessary. Take time to check other fixtures and appliances for leaks as needed.
Practice water-wise behaviours while hosting by reminding your guests to:
- Strive for five minute showers
- Turn off the tap when brushing teeth, washing hands, and while shaving
- Flush only as needed, while avoiding flushing non-flushable items
In the Laundry Room
Run full loads of clothes in your washing machine. Our regions soft water means you can use half the suds to wash your duds.