CRD Parks & Environmental Services encourages the wise and efficient use of water through education, water saving technologies, policy measures and research.
Greater Victoria enjoys some of the best quality drinking water in the world at a reasonable cost, but maintaining this critical resource requires each of us to use water with care.
From 1999 to 2009, the CRD offered water efficiency rebates to encourage the purchase of appliances and fixtures that use innovative water-saving technology.
These days, the use of such fixtures and appliances has become standard. Provincial codes now require all toilet installations in new residential buildings and renovation projects to use 4.8 litres of water or less per flush and most appliance stores now feature high-efficiency washing machines as industry standard.
Benefits of Water Efficiency
- Lower water and energy bills by reducing your metered usage.
- Enhanced drinking water quality by maintaining higher levels in our drinking watershed, the Sooke Lake reservoir.
- Less environmental impact by deferring the need to supply water from new sources and by reducing the energy and materials required to treat and deliver water.
Top 5 Ways to Save Water at Home
- How much water do I use? Use this water calculator to learn your water consumption.
- Replace your old bathroom fixtures to more efficient models.
- Regularly check your home for leaks.
- Replace your old clothes washing machine for a high-efficiency model.
- Let your lawn go golden and be water wise outside.
- Never run a dishwasher or clothes washer without a full load.