Welcome to the Juan de Fuca
Juan de Fuca encompasses the west coast of Vancouver Island from the community of Otter Point all the way to Port Renfrew, and also includes the geographically separate communities of East Sooke, Malahat and Willis Point. It also includes the Chatham and Discovery Islands, which lie off the east coast of Victoria, near Oak Bay.
The Juan de Fuca communities of Willis Point, Malahat, East Sooke, Otter Point, Shirley, Jordan River and Port Renfrew, and the Rural Resource Lands make up an unincorporated rural Electoral Area under the jurisdiction of the Capital Regional District (CRD). The CRD serves as local government for electoral areas and most administrative functions are handled from offices in Otter Point or Victoria. The southern half of Discovery Island is a Provincial Marine Park; the northern portion of Discovery Island, Chatham Island and its nearby islets are part of the Songhees First Nation reserve lands.
The CRD Board has established, by bylaw, a number of Commissions to provide community input into the delivery of specific CRD services in the EA's. The Board may also establish Committee's to provide advice and recommendations in relation to a CRD service or potential service.
Advisory Planning Commissions, one of which represents each community in the Juan de Fuca area, make recommendations to the CRD on community and neighbourhood development plans, zoning applications and development permits. At this time the Port Renfrew and Malahat Advisory Planning Commissions are not active. The Commissions meet on an as required basis.
Planning Services - Hot Topics
Commissions and Committees in the JDF:
- Advisory Planning Commissions
- Boards of Variance
- Juan de Fuca Land Use Committee
- Juan de Fuca Water Distribution Commission
- Port Renfrew Utility Services Committee
- Wilderness Mountain Water Service Commission
Parks and Recreation
- Juan de Fuca Electoral Area Parks and Recreation Advisory Commission
- Sooke & Electoral Area Parks & Recreation Commission (SEAPARC)
- East Sooke Fire Protection and Emergency Response Service Commission
- Otter Point Fire Protection and Emergency Response Service Commission
- Port Renfrew Fire Protection & Emergency Response Service Commission
- Shirley Fire Protection and Emergency Response Service Commission
- Willis Point Fire Protection and Recreation Facilities Commission
More information on the services and administrative functions offered in Juan de Fuca EA by the CRD
More information on the services and administrative functions offered in JDF by the CRD can be found on the following pages: