Victoria, BC- On June 1, 2011 the Capital Regional District hosted the 2011 EcoStar Community environmental Awards, which serve to celebrate environmental leaders across the region. Previous year’s winners have shown exemplary social, environmental and community initiative in creating and implementing green programs, practices and projects across the region.
The 2011 EcoStar Awards Ceremony was entirely paperless, featured local food and beverages and honoured this year’s ten award recipients:
- Waste Reduction: Lighthouse Brewery (Sponsored by reFuse Resource Recovery)
- Waste Reduction Non-Profit: Downtown Victoria Business Association (DVBA) (Award sponsored by reFuse Resource Recovery)
- Integrated Watershed Management: Jawl Investment Corporation (Award sponsored by Golder Associates)
- Water Stewardship: Shaw Ocean Discovery Centre (Award sponsored by Ocean 98.5)
- Climate Action: Clean Air Landscaping (Award sponsored by BC Transit)
- Climate Action Non-Profit: Recreation Oak Bay (Award sponsored by BC Transit)
- Land Stewardship: Adrena Line Zipline Adventure Tours (Award sponsored by Jack FM)
- Land Stewardship Non-Profit: Friends Uniting for Nature Society: Fun Camps Victoria (Award sponsored by Jack FM)
- Youth Leader: Kati Walters (Award sponsored by the Capital Regional District)
- Community Environmental Leader: Mark F. Salter (Award sponsored by the Capital Regional District)
“The EcoStar Awards are a wonderful opportunity to celebrate the region’s top environmental stewards, educate residents on the importance of sustainability and encourage green practices,” said CRD Board Chair Geoff Young.
The 2011 EcoStar Awards are proudly supported by ‘A’ Vancouver Island, Black Press, 103.1 Jack FM, 98.5 Ocean and the Fairmont Empress. Award and event sponsors include BC Transit, Capital Regional District, Golder Associates, reFuse Resource Recovery, Feys and Hobbs Catered Arts, Geoff Grime Photography, Gerry Reimer Productions, Sharp’s Audio Visual and the City of Victoria.
For more information please contact:
Andy Orr, Senior Manager, Corporate Communications, CRD