This park offers an expansive beach along the eastern shore of the Saanich Peninsula, and excellent bird watching.
- long, sandy beach for exploring, picnicking and swimming
- beach, dune, wetland, and shrub ecosystems, home to numerous resident and migratory bird species, and many fragile plants
- bird watching along the shore and in the fields
- panoramic seascape views of Haro Strait, James Island and Mount Baker
- a loop trail offers an easy and scenic walk
- self-contained RV and tent campground
Trail Rating: Easy
Size: 48 hectares
Location: Island View Road in Central Saanich
Hours: Sunrise to Sunset
The Island View Beach Regional Park RV & Tent campground operates seasonally from the Victoria Day long weekend in May to the Labour Day long weekend in September.
- Open Friday, May 18 to Monday, September 3
We have launched a new online reservation system for your convenience!
The CRD’s new secure online reservation site allows you to reserve and pay immediately for a campsite with no wait. You will first have to create an account.
The Island View Beach campground is closed for the season. It will re-open May 17, 2019. The online reservation system will be available May 1, 2019.
Reservations can only be made up to 30 days in advance.
5 RV and 11 tent campsites will be available on a first-come, first-served basis at the campground.
- $15/night tenting; $20/night RV's; $10 additional vehicle.
- Payable online by Visa or Mastercard. Payable on site by Visa, Mastercard or cash.
- Fees apply to all changes or cancellations.
Facilities and Services
The campground has 18 beach front RV sites, 5 treed tent trailer sites and 24 treed tent sites. All the camping sites are self-contained. The campground provides:
- waterfront views
- public garbage bins
- pit toilets
- drinking water station
- picnic areas
- group fire ring
The campground does not provide hydro, dumping station, showers or individual fire pits.
- Maximum length of stay 14 days per calendar year
- Reservations can only be made up to 30 days in advance
- No more than 7 persons per campsite with a maximum of 4 adults
- Quiet time 10pm to 7am
- Generator use permitted 9 - 11am and 6 - 8pm
- Checkout by 11am
- Fires permitted in designated area only
- Dogs on-leash in campground
- Pick up your dog’s droppings
- Alcohol not permitted outside campsite
- Smoking is prohibited
- Invasive Plant Management areas closed to visitors and pets
Tell us about your camping experience by filling out this quick comment form.
Things to Do
Explore Island View Beach Regional Park along a circle route. Head north down the beach, then join one of the access trails through the foredunes. Return by way of the inland trail through the old salt marsh and backdunes, and stop at the picnic area for a snack.
Wildlife Viewing Tips
Seabirds and shorebirds land at Island View Beach during migration times in the spring and autumn. Migratory seabirds graze on the eel grass beds at low tide or probe for worms, clams and other creatures in the sand. They are often exhausted from their long travels and need all the nourishment and rest they can get. Watch these animals from a distance and keep dogs on the trail and under control.
Some of BC's most threatened shorebirds nest on the ground on isolated rocky islets, spits and shorelines. Oystercatchers, for example, are one species at risk. They lay their well-camouflaged eggs in a scrape — nothing more than an arrangement of pebbles or even the bare rock itself. Oystercatchers also rely on distraction to fend off predators. Stay well clear of any bird displaying evasive behaviour and watch where you walk.
How to Get There
Follow the Pat Bay Highway from Victoria. Turn right on Island View Road, then left on Homathko Road, which leads to the park entrance. Allow approximately 30 minutes driving time from Victoria.
- 12 km from the Victoria Airport
- 17km from Swartz Bay Ferry terminal
- 20km from downtown Victoria
- Easy bike commute from the Lochside Regional Trail