A new cycling and pedestrian trail is being constructed largely within the E&N rail corridor. Once complete, this newest addition to the trail system will provide an important non-motorized and recreation link between Victoria and the West Shore.
The E&N Rail Trail is being built in phases.
- Paved bike and pedestrian trail.
- Currently 12km and will be 17km when complete.
- Being developed in phases as funding becomes available.
- Will link downtown Victoria to western communities: runs through Victoria, Esquimalt, View Royal and Langford.
- Part of regional trails network which includes Galloping Goose and Lochside Regional Trails.
- Supports active recreation, and provides a commuting route with reduced travel time for active transportation.
Things to Do
Trail Sections Open To Public Use
Although construction of the entire trail is not complete, three sections are open to public use. Where gaps exist, local roads or sidewalks will connect users to the next section of trail.
- Jacklin Road to Savory School
- Atkins Avenue to Esquimalt Road
Find out more about trail construction underway. Read more >>
Suggested Day Trip
Begin at Portage Park in View Royal, which is adjacent to the E&N Rail Trail. The trail connects to the Galloping Goose at Atkins Rd. The E&N and Goose trails are co-located for 2kms. Continue along the Galloping Goose to numerous regional parks en route.
How to Get There
Parking & Access Points
As of 2019, the E&N Rail Trail begins at Esquimalt Road, near Robert and William Streets in the City of Victoria. Bike lanes and sidewalks exist on Esquimalt Road east and west of the E&N Rail Trail for those accessing from the elsewhere in the area. For those who want to park and ride, one designated E&N Rail Trail/ Galloping Goose parking facility exists at Atkins Road in View Royal (see below). Elsewhere along the trail, municipal on-street parking opportunities must be used.
The main access points along the trail include:
- Esquimalt Road (Victoria)
- Admirals Road at Colville Road (Esquimalt)
- Admirals Road at Hallowell Road (View Royal)
- Helmcken Road (View Royal)
- Island Highway at Burnside Road W. (View Royal)
- Veterans Memorial Way (Langford)
- Jacklin Road (Langford).
- Other local streets along the route also provide access.
Several BC Transit bus routes have stops at various locations along or close to the route of the E&N Rail Trail. Check BC Transit website for further information.