The Core Area Inflow & Infiltration (I&I) program provides educational services to the public and technical support to municipalities to help promote the reduction of the amount of rainwater and groundwater entering the sanitary sewer system.
The program has been active region-wide since the early 1990’s.
The goals of the program are to:
- Comply with regulatory requirements regarding I&I
- Promote the inspection and repair of private property laterals through education
- Prioritize I&I reduction work required to eventually eliminate overflows from the system
- Support sewer asset management programs
- Support efforts to maintain sewer capacity needed for future growth, densification, and climate change