The Wastewater Treatment Project includes a 108 megalitre/day tertiary wastewater treatment plant at McLoughlin Point in Esquimalt to be operated by the CRD. The treatment plant is designed to minimize visual impacts from the water and includes a multi-level green roof, mature landscaping, observation deck, and multi-use education space.
This plant is being built by Harbour Resource Partners (HRP). HRP is a consortium of experienced firms including – AECOM Canada, Graham Infrastructure, HRD/CEI, SUEZ, Graham Capital and Michels Canada. HRP includes top-tier global expertise in wastewater treatment plant financing, design, construction and operations coupled with local knowledge and experience gained on past CRD projects.
The McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant construction and commissioning will take place from spring 2017 to fall 2020.
Construction at McLoughlin Point will look similar to any large urban construction site. Construction works include: site preparation; horizontal directional drilling to construct the cross-harbour undersea pipe from Ogden Point to McLoughlin Point; pouring concrete foundations; exterior building construction and mechanical and electrical work inside the building.
Anticipated work hours are Monday to Friday from 7am - 7pm and on Saturday from 9am - 6pm.
McLoughlin Point Construction Activities Anticipated April 2017 to Fall 2020*
- Set up construction laydown area
- Heavy equipment and personnel preparing the site
June 2017 to Fall 2017
- Site preparation (excavation/blasting)
- On average 30 trucks per day hauling excavated material
- Blasting activities will be periodically scheduled and communicated to immediate neighbours; blasting schedule will be posted to project website weekly
July 2017 to June 2018
- Conduct horizontal directional drilling
- On average five trucks per day
Fall 2017 to Fall 2018
- Pouring concrete
- On average 15 trucks per day with more for large pours
Spring 2018 to Fall 2019
- Plant construction
- On average 10 trucks per day
Fall 2019 to Fall 2020
* Construction schedules subject to updates based on construction operations. Project to provide regular updates on anticipated dates.
For more information about the McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant please review the information materials below.
Artist Rendering: View from Ogden Point
Artist Rendering: View from Shoal Point
Artist Rendering: View from Songhees Walkway
Artist Rendering: Aerial View from the South East