Source Control Practices

Some types of process waste (non-domestic waste) can be discharged to sanitary sewer when the appropriate source control practices and pre-treatment are in place. Non-domestic waste is regulated under the CRD Bylaw 2922 - Consolidated Capital Regional District Sewer Use Bylaw No. 5, 2001.

Industrial, commercial and institutional (ICI) facilities who discharge non-domestic waste to a CRD sewage system must operate under the Sewer Use Bylaw. In some cases, a facility must operate under a permit, authorization or code of practice as defined in the Bylaw.

The CRD works with municipalities to ensure that there is fair and consistent application of the Bylaw. Municipalities assist by requesting that a Waste Discharge Assessment form is completed and submitted by ICI operators who are applying for a business license or building permit.

Waste Discharge Permits

Waste discharge permits are regulatory documents issued to industries and businesses under the CRD Sewer Use Bylaw that outline requirements for wastewater treatment, liquid waste quality, monitoring and reporting. They are issued to industries, businesses or other operations that discharge significant non-domestic wastewater flows (greater than 10 cubic metres per day) or wastewater containing high loads of specified chemical contaminants into the sanitary sewer system.

Permittees are required to sample and test their waste, record flows and report to the CRD on a regular basis. CRD staff also perform regular inspections and audit monitoring to ensure permit compliance.

If you are starting a new business or have an existing business that discharges to the sanitary sewer system operated by the CRD, but are not currently operating under a permit, authorization or Code of Practice, please complete and submit a Waste Discharge Permit Application form. 

If you need to apply for a permit for temporary dewatering and/or discharge from construction sites please complete and submit the Waste Discharge Permit for Temporary Dewatering and Construction or Excavation Sites Application form.


Letters of Authorization are issued to operations that have a lower impact on wastewater collection and treatment systems and/or the receiving environment compared to permitted operations. Authorizations have site-specific requirements and best management practices designed to limit the impact of the discharge and the potential for illegal discharges. Authorizations are often issued without expiry dates, with sampling and reporting requirements determined on a case-by-case basis. These requirements are generally less onerous than permit requirements. Inspections are carried out on a periodic basis by CRD staff.

If an operation discharges non-domestic waste into the sanitary sewer system, please complete and submit a Waste Discharge Permit Application form.

Codes of Practice

Some facilities, especially smaller operations that have common practices with others in their industry, are grouped together in sectors regulated under Sewer Use Bylaw codes of practices. Review the Business Sectors to understand the Sewer Use Bylaw codes of practice that apply to your operation.