Qualifications for Registering as an Elector

There are two categories of electors for voting in local government elections or referenda: Resident Electors (you live in the community) and Non-Resident Property Electors (you own property in the community but live elsewhere in BC).

Resident Elector

The Provincial voters list is used for Resident Electors. You are qualified to register as a Resident Elector if you:

  • are 18 years or older
  • are a Canadian Citizen
  • have resided in British Columbia for six months prior to voting day

To register as a Resident Elector contact Elections BC.

Non-Resident Property Elector

Advance registration as a Non-Resident Property Elector closed on August 23, 2022. If you have not already done so, you may register at the time of voting. 

The CRD maintains a list of Non-Resident Property Electors for the Juan de Fuca, Salt Spring Island and Southern Gulf Islands Electoral Areas. You may contact us to see if you are on the list or find out more about elector registration. Please contact Legislative Services during regular office hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm), 625 Fisgard St., Victoria, Phone 250.360.3642, or toll free 1.800.663.4425, local 3642.

You are qualified to register as a Non-Resident Property Elector if you:

  • are 18 years or older
  • are a Canadian Citizen
  • have resided in British Columbia for six months prior to voting day
  • have owned and held registered title to property within the boundaries of the local community for 30 days prior to voting day
  • do not qualify as a Resident Elector

A Non-Resident Property Elector may register in relation to one piece of property only, and if more than one person owns the property, only one owner may register and that person must have the written consent of a majority of the other owners (original signatures only).

No corporation is entitled to be registered as an elector or have a representative registered as an elector and no corporation is entitled to vote. Individuals who are on title with corporations are not entitled to register or vote. Individuals who own an undivided interest in land on which the balance is held by a corporation are not entitled to vote.

Elector Identity Documents

When registering you must provide two documents proving identity and residence (one must have a signature). Non-Resident Property Electors must provide proof that they are entitled to the property (e.g. certificate of title, property tax notice, property assessment notice).

The following are valid identity documents for proving elector identity:

  • BC driver’s licence
  • BC ID card issued by the Motor Vehicle Branch
  • BC Services Card
  • Request for Continued Assistance form SDES8
  • Social Insurance Card (Canada)
  • Citizenship Card (Canada)
  • Real property tax notice
  • Credit card or debit card issued by a savings institution
  • Utility bill

For more examples of accepted identification, please visit Elections BC.