The Capital Regional District is working with the Magic Lake Estates Water and Sewer Local Services Committee to address the issues facing the aging and failing sewer infrastructure in Magic Lake Estates.
On February 27, 2016, the Capital Regional District held a public open house at St Peter's Anglican Church on North Pender Island. The open house was to inform the property owners in the Magic Lake Estates Sewer Local Service area on the proposed project and alternative approval process. The project requires borrowing of $1,530,000 to complete.
The deadline for responses for the alternative approval process was March 30, 2016. From preliminary results, less than 10% of the total electorate sent in response forms initially indicating a successful alternative approval process.
Phases completed in the project include:
- Construction of the Chart Drive replacement
- Condition assessment of the Schooner Wastewater Treatment Plant tanks
- Preliminary design of the pipe replacement for the Privateers and Buck Lake sections of pipe
- Video inspection for condition assessment of the wastewater pipes
- Final design of the pipe replacement for the Privateers and Buck Lake sections of pipe
- Complete the inflow and infiltration study