Through the Health and Capital Planning Strategies Division, Community Health services support the strategic priorities of the CRD Board by:
- Planning and implementing public health bylaws under the CRD’s powers to legislate public health measures.
- Advancing the development of the Regional Sustainability Strategy through research and policy development in key areas related to community wellness and social wellbeing.
- Providing policy and funding coordination between the Greater Victoria Coalition to End Homelessness, Island Health, CRD Housing Secretariat and CRD Planning & Protective Services Committee, while engaging the broader community around issues related to mental health, addictions, social services, and housing.
- Monitoring the broader healthcare system and the healthcare needs of the Region’s residents.
- Providing policy advice and information to the Board of the implications of provincial and Island Health policies and plans.
- Advocating for the Region's equitable share of Island Health healthcare and facility funding.
The CRD, through Section 16 of its Health Letters Patent, is granted the exclusive jurisdiction by its municipalities to regulate public health matters by bylaw. Public Health bylaws promote and protect the health of the people within the CRD by regulating health hazards or health impediments. In delivering these services, the Capital Regional District Board adopts public health-related bylaws for which the education and enforcement are coordinated with Island Health. The Health and Capital Planning Strategies Division supports this function through healthy public policy development, and the implementation oversight of CRD public health bylaws.
Included in the CRD’s public health bylaws are the:
Public Information Bulletins:
Island Health is responsible for the enforcement of CRD public health bylaws. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Idling Control Bylaw, Tattoo Bylaw or Tanning Bylaw please call 250.519.3401. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Clean Air Bylaw, please call 250.519.3401 or by email.
The Health and Capital Planning Strategies Division supports the strategic priority areas and corporate goals of the CRD Strategic Plan in the areas of Healthy Region and Regional Housing. Staff work closely with the Vancouver Island Health Authority, the Greater Victoria Coalition to End Homelessness and other community funding partners to address the priority issues of addressing homelessness and increasing supportive housing and services for those in core need. The Division also works to strengthen the well-being of vulnerable populations through its research and policy development in areas related to healthcare infrastructure and community wellness and social wellbeing.
Homelessness and Healthy Communities Planning
The Health and Capital Planning Strategies Division supports the strategic priority areas and corporate goals of the CRD Strategic Plan as well as the Regional Sustainability Strategy in the areas of Healthy Region and Regional Housing. Division staff work closely with Island Health, the Greater Victoria Coalition to End Homelessness, municipalities, and other community agencies and funding partners to address the root causes of homelessness and increase the supply of supportive housing.