Licences are mandatory for all dogs four months or older in the Capital Regional District.

The CRD provides licencing for Langford, Colwood, View Royal, Metchosin, Highlands, Sooke, JDFEA, and the Gulf Islands.

Why does my dog need a licence?

A licence gives your dog an identity that is connected to you.

Here's how it works. Your information is entered into a database that can only be accessed by the employees of CRD Bylaw and Animal Care Services 24/7. If your dog is wearing a CRD licence when it goes for a "walkabout" our staff are able to look up this information and reunite you with your pet.

In short, a dog licence is your dog's best ticket home.

How often do I need to renew my licence?

Once a year. Your dog's licence is valid for the calendar year, from January 1 to December 31.

You are advised to buy your new licence ahead of time but are responsible for purchasing whether or not you receive a renewal notice. Check out the Licence Fees page for more information.

How do I apply for a CRD Dog Licence?

The CRD licences are for the municipalities listed above. If you reside in one of the above municipalities, please complete this CRD Dog Licence Application Form so we can create your account.

Once we set up your account we will email you back with your CRD Dog Licence account number and how to pay online.

How do I change the information in my dog account?

To change the information in your CRD dog account you can complete this CRD Dog Licence change form and it will be submitted to our office.

Changes may include:

  • address change
  • phone number change or addition
  • reporting a deceased pet
  • name/ownership change
  • reporting any errors on annual renewals i.e. dog breed, sex or colour

Licence Fees

CRD provides licencing for Colwood, Langford, View Royal, Metchosin, Highlands, Sooke, JDF EA, Salt Spring Island and the Southern Gulf Islands

Online Payments

You can save time by renewing your dog licence online!

Click on the picture below to view the brochure:



Please contact CRD Bylaw and Animal Care Services.

Highlands, Juan de Fuca Electoral Area, Langford, Metchosin, Sooke, Colwood, View Royal, Esquimalt, Sidney, North Saanich, Central Saanich please call:

Tel: 250.478.0624

Salt Spring Island please call:

Tel: 250.537.9414

Southern Gulf Islands please call:

Tel: 1.800.665.7899

Or reach us from any area by email.