Smoking in Parks

The CRD Clean Air Bylaw prohibits smoking in all regional parks and on regional trails.

Boating - Where can I boat in regional parks?

Boating is permitted in the following lakes, with some restrictions:
  • Beaver Lake: 10 horsepower maximum
  • Durrance Lake: electric motors only
  • Elk Lake: 10 horsepower maximum (over 10 horsepower in area marked by buoys only)
  • Matheson Lake: electric motors only
  • Prior Lake: no power boats
  • Thetis Lake: electric motors only

Camping - Can I camp in regional parks?

CRD Regional Parks operates three self-contained RV and tent campgrounds at Island View Beach Regional Park in Central Saanich, Jordan River Regional Park in Jordan River and Sooke Potholes Regional Park near Sooke.

All other regional parks and trails are day-use only. No overnight camping is permitted.

Cycling - Where can I cycle in regional parks and trails?

Cycling is permitted on the 3 CRD Regional Trails:

Cycling is also permitted in the following Regional Parks:

Cycling is not permitted on other trails or in other CRD parks. Please lock up your bikes and explore the parks on foot.

Dogs - Can I take my dog to regional parks and trails?

Yes. You are welcome to bring your dog to all regional parks and regional trails. For details on where dogs are required to be on leash, seasonal restrictions, and bylaws related to pets, visit the Pets in Parks page. Watch for park signs where specific dog regulations apply.

Education - What School Programs are Available?

The CRD offers a wide variety of nature programs to support your efforts in the classroom, and engage your students with the natural world. For more information and to see the available programs, visit the Park Interpretive School Programs page. 

Electric Bicycles - Can I ride my electric bicycle at regional parks and regional trails?

Yes. The CRD allows the use of electric bicycles on all regional trails and on designated cycling trails in some Regional Parks.

Electric bicycles must meet the BC Motor Vehicle Act definition of "motor-assisted cycle" and display the required sticker. For a detailed description, visit the ICBC website.

Fires - Can I have an open fire in a regional park?

No. Open fires are not allowed in regional parks. Check with your local municipality to find out where open fires are allowed in the Capital Region.

Geocaching - Can I geocache in regional parks?

Yes. CRD recognizes geocaching as a recreational activity in regional parks and trails.

Parking Fees - How much does parking cost in regional parks?

Parking is free in most regional parks and trails. Pay parking at Sooke Potholes and Thetis Lake Regional Parks is in effect for the summer season from May 1 to September 30. The cost of parking is $2.25 per day, or $20 for a season's pass. A seasonal parking pass is valid at both parks. The ticket dispensers accept loonies, toonies, quarters and credit cards. You may also purchase a ticket or seasonal pass using the Honk Mobile system. You can pay online or download the app. The parking pass uses a pay-by-plate system whereby the parking pass is associated with a specific vehicle. You do not need to display a pass in your vehicle. Find out more details at the Parking Fees web page.

Picnic Shelters - How do I get a permit for the group picnic facilities?

Reservations of group picnic shelters are available at Elk/Beaver Lake, East Sooke Park and Island View Beach. The CRD’s secure online reservation site allows you to reserve and pay immediately for a picnic shelter with no wait. Read more >>

Public Transit - Which regional parks are accessible by BC Public Transit?

Each park listing provides directions to the park by public transit where applicable. You can also download the information sheet listing all parks accessible by bus.

Water Quality - Where can I find information on the water quality of Regional Parks swimming beaches?

The Vancouver Island Health Authority is responsible for monitoring the quality of recreational water. They monitor the water quality at beaches in the summer months only and post the reports on the VIHA website.

What Bylaws Regulate Regional Parks?

Bylaw 4545 
A bylaw to amend Bylaw No. 3675 which provides for park use permit fees and charges payable for regional parks services and facilities within the Capital Regional District. Link: 3675 - (Consolidated) Capital Regional District Regional Parks Services and Facilities Fees and Charges Bylaw No. 1, 2010 (PDF).

Bylaw 4431 
A bylaw to amend Bylaw No. 4225 which regulates the use of regional parks and trails. Link:  4225 - (Consolidated) CRD Parks Regulation Bylaw No. 1, 2018 (PDF).

Bylaw 4433
Fine schedule for Parks Regulation Bylaw No. 1, 2018, amended from Bylaw No. 1857. Link:  4433 - CRD Ticket Information Authorization Bylaw 1990, Amendment Bylaw No. 70, 2021 (PDF).

Report an Issue

Thank you for your assistance in keeping our parks safe and clean. If you see something that requires our attention in a regional park or on a regional trail, report an issue here.