Plastic bags have received media attention lately, and for good reason. They are part of our daily lives and we use them for many things - from carrying our groceries and purchases to lining our garbage bins.
Plastic Bags & the 5R Hierarchy
Environmental resource management in the CRD is based on the 5R hierarchy of Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Recovery and Residuals Management. The hierarchy applies to plastic bags as follows: refuse & reduce by utilizing reusable bags, reuse plastic bags as often as possible and recycle excess bags.
Refuse & Reduce
Take along cloth bags when heading out shopping (even to the mall!)
- store your reusable bags in your car or backpack
- make a reminder sticky for yourself (place on fridge or dash of car)
- hang cloth bags on your front door handle to remind you to bring them along
Reuse any plastic bags you accumulate
- next time you shop, use your bag for items from more than one store
- to line your garbage can
- to pick up pet litter
- as a receptacle for cooled fats, oils and grease from cooking
Recycle clean, dry and empty excess bags
- take back to grocery stores for recycling
- take shopping bags and your film plastic to a recycling depot