What would you like to Recycle?

Thermostats

Thermostats

Thermostats are managed through the Canada-wide Thermostat Recovery Program (TRP) product stewardship program. TRP is focused on recovering and recycling thermostats that are no longer in use, including mercury-containing, electronic and mechanical types. A full list of what is accepted and free depot locations is available on their website.

Reduce | Reuse | Recycle | Facilities

How do I go green?

It’s pretty hard to reduce the use of thermostats; however we can switch to energy efficient programmable thermostats and recycle the old ones.

Thermostats are only candidates for reuse if they are the newer energy efficient programmable ones.

Thermostats are considered hazardous waste due to the mercury content. Thermostats can be dropped off for no charge as Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) at the Hartland depot in small residential quantities. 

Contact other facilities listed directly regarding restrictions. 

If you have a commercial amount, please call the facility ahead of time to be sure they can accommodate you. Alternately you may contact TRP directly to receive a free shipping box for larger quantities.

Facilities

  • Alpine Disposal & Recycling

    1045 Dunford Avenue
    Victoria
    250.474.5145

  • Darryl's and James's Digs

    103 East Point Road
    Saturna Island
    250.539.3385

  • Galiano Recycling Depot

    220 Sturdies Bay Road
    Galiano Island
    250.539.5769

  • Hartland Depot

    1 Hartland Avenue
    Victoria
    250.360.3030

  • RemoveAndReUse.Com



  • Salt Spring Island Recycling Depot

    349 Rainbow Road
    Salt Spring Island
    250.537.1200

  • The Environmental Story

    Thermostats contain mercury. Mercury is a bio accumulative, persistent, and toxic heavy metal that threatens the health of humans and our ecosystem.
    Older mechanical thermostats can have 1 to 4 mercury switches, each containing approximately 2.5 grams of mercury. Just one gram of mercury can contaminate an eight hectare lake to the point where the fish in that lake are not edible for one full year.

    Did You Know?

    Mercury exposure can be highly toxic.