Mount View High School opened in 1932 to meet the needs of the expanding Saanich population. However, by the 1970s changes in the curriculum left Mount View's facilities inadequate. The school was closed in 1973 and replaced by Spectrum Community School. Since then, Mount View has been a satellite campus for Camosun College, a church, a storage facility for the Greater Victoria School District and a training obstacle course for police dogs.
In December 2007, the Capital Regional Hospital District (CRHD) purchased the site from School District 61. After a careful and comprehensive development options review, the CRHD rezoned the site consistent with the CRD's Growth Management Strategies and the new Saanich Official Community Plan. Both plans stress compact urban development.
The former Mount View School site, now owned by the Capital Regional Hospital District, is an 8 acre land assembly located at 3806-3816 Carey Road. Following a comprehensive rezoning process, a plan has been developed for the site that addresses three key regional priorities—a 'Campus of Care' for seniors, housing for the homeless, and affordable family housing.
The overall development will be "green", incorporating sustainable elements, and all buildings designed to qualify for LEED status. A Transportation Demand Management (TDM) plan will encourage use of public transit via the new transit interchange at the Uptown Shopping Centre. Mount View's original heritage as a school will be remembered and celebrated with references throughout the site's landscaping plan.