Hazardous material (hazmat) spills may include chemical, radiation, biohazard, propane, oil and gas, flammable materials, industrial products and mixed waste. Hazmat spills may occur in transportation, industry, businesses, and even our homes, and may occur after an earthquake or flood.

What Happens if there is a spill?

  • Call 9-1-1 to report a hazardous spill;
  • Stay away from the spill for your safety and to prevent contamination;
  • Follow the instructions of authorities, you may be asked to either evacuate or shelter-in-place;
    • Follow your emergency plan and take your grab and go bag if asked to leave; and
  • Listen to the radio and television.

Hazmat Response in the Capital Region

Did you know the Capital Region has its own Regional Hazmat Response Service?

Over 60 firefighters across the region are trained as Hazmat Response Technicians. The Capital Regional District provides a central store of specialized equipment, which is housed and maintained by the Central Saanich Fire Department. The fire departments and the Ministry of Environment work together along with the responsible parties to contain the spill and minimize the impact the safety of people and the environment.

To Report a Hazardous Material Spill:

Call 911
British Columbia's 24-hour incident reporting hotline at 1.800.663.3456

Additional Resources:

Get Prepared for a Hazardous Material Spill in BC for more information about staying safe if a hazardous chemical is released into the air.

BC's Environmental Emergency Program responds to hazards materials spills.

Learn more about Transporting Dangerous Goods in commercial or personal vehicles.