The Role of the Professional
At a minimum, it is a good idea to set some budget aside to have a professional review your irrigation system plan, check your design and your calculations before you purchase the components and install the system. This will ensure that you save money by getting the right equipment and that your system will function efficiently. You may want to attend a CRD sponsored workshop to determine your needs.
You may choose to hire a professional to install your irrigation system. Follow these tips from the Irrigation Industry Association of BC to help you choose a contractor that best suits your needs.
Checklist for Hiring an Irrigation Professional
- View a printer friendly version of this checklist.
- Check for valid business licensing with your municipality.
- Ask for proof of liability insurance.
- Be sure the contractor addresses any of your concerns, such as the best system for water efficiency.
- Make certain each contractor inspects your property prior to submitting a bid.
- Ask for and enforce a time frame for start and completion of the system installation.
- Beware of low-bidders - often shortcuts are taken to achieve this, which can mean costly adjustments and/or repairs later.
- Be sure your contractor has obtained and purchased plumbing and electrical permits for the work to be carried out.
- Be sure your contractor has included the installation and initial testing of a back-flow prevention device.
- Ask for written warranty (typical one year parts and labour).
- Ask to see a sketch of the proposed system to ensure only the landscaped areas are being watered.
- If you receive conflicting answers to questions about products or application, check with a supply company that does not do installations; often they can explain why things are done in a certain manner and what kinds of costs are involved for downgrades or upgrades.
- Check to see if the contractor is a member of IIABC (Irrigation Industry Association of British Columbia) and/ or has certification through that organization.
- List of Irrigation Association of BC Certified Contractors.
Provision of this information does not represent an endorsement by the CRD of the conclusions reached by studies or a recommendation of any of products, techniques or contractors.