Starting a new business or renovating an existing one?

Regional Source Control program (RSCP) staff recognize that some types of process waste (non-domestic waste) can be discharged to sanitary sewer when the appropriate source control practices and pre-treatment are in place. Non-domestic waste is regulated under the CRD Bylaw 2922 - Consolidated Capital Regional District Sewer Use Bylaw No. 5, 2001.

Industrial, commercial and institutional (ICI) facilities who discharge non-domestic waste to a CRD sewerage system must operate under the Sewer Use Bylaw. In some cases, a facility must operate under a code of practice, authorization or permit as defined in the Bylaw.

Staff work with CRD member municipalities to ensure there is fair and consistent application of the Bylaw. Municipalities assist by requesting that ICI operators who are applying for a business license or building permit, complete and submit a Waste Discharge Assessment form to the program. This helps ensure that all ICI operation are in compliance with the Bylaw.

Waste Discharge Permit Application

If you are starting a new business or have an existing business which discharges to the sanitary sewer operated by the CRD, but are not currently operating under a Permit, Code of Practice, or authorization, please complete the following form.

What is a waste discharge permit?

Waste discharge permits are regulatory documents issued to industries and businesses under the CRD Sewer Use Bylaw that outline requirements for wastewater treatment, effluent quality, monitoring and reporting.

Who are permits issued to?

Waste discharge permits are issued to industries, businesses or other operations that discharge significant non-domestic wastewater flows (greater than 10 cubic metres per day) or wastewater containing high loads of specified chemical contaminants into the sanitary sewer.

What is a permit holder required to do?

Permittees are required to sample and test their wastes, record flows and report to the program on a regular basis. Source control staff perform regular inspections and audit monitoring to ensure permit compliance.


Letters of Authorization are issued to operations that have a lower impact on wastewater collection & treatment systems and/or the receiving environment compared to Permitted operations. Authorizations have site-specific requirements and best management practices designed to limit the impact of the discharge and the potential for illegal discharges. Authorizations are normally issued without expiry dates and sampling & reporting requirements are assessed on a case-by-case basis, but are generally less onerous than Permit requirements. Inspections are carried out on a periodic basis by Source Control staff.

If an operation discharges non-domestic waste into the sanitary sewer, please complete and submit:

Codes of Practice

Some facilities, especially smaller operations with common practices with others in their industry, are grouped together as business sectors and are regulated under Sewer Use Bylaw Codes of Practices. Mechanical Repair and Food Services are examples of Business Sectors.

Sewer Use Bylaw Codes of Practice apply to: