The Elk/Beaver Lake watershed is the headwaters for the Colquitz River system which flows through the District of Saanich and into the ocean at Portage Inlet. The 2.24km2 combined lake area receives water from a 7.82 km2 upstream drainage area. Water flows into Elk Lake from O’Donnel Creek and Hamsterly Creek and into Beaver Lake from Haliburton Brook and Linnet Creek. Many stormwater drainages also carry water into the lake. A section of the Patricia Bay Highway runs directly beside part of the east shore of the lake. Land cover in the watershed includes low and medium density residential, forest, pasture, annual cropland, wetlands, and some open lands.
Did You Know?
- Elk/Beaver Lake Regional Park constitutes 56% of the land area in the watershed. Privately owned residential and agricultural properties occupy the remaining 47%.
- Elk Lake was a drinking water source for the City of Victoria up to 1914, and supplied water to the Saanich Peninsula until 1977.
- The lakes are stocked by the Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations with approximately 18,000 rainbow trout each year.
- Water from Elk Lake flows south into Beaver Lake where a dam maintains minimum downstream flows to the Colquitz River for the purpose of potential salmon migration.
- Technical report: Investigation of in-lake remediation options for Elk Lake
- Technical report: Review of Beaver Lake ecology and need for aeration
- Elk/Beaver Lakes: Water Quality Assessment & Objectives (Ministry of Environment, Land and Parks, 1992)
- Ambient Water Quality Assessment and Objectives for Elk and Beaver Lakes Saanich Peninsula, Overview Report (Ministry of Environment, Land and Parks, 1992)
- State of Water Quality of Elk and Beaver Lakes 1986-1995 (Ministry of Environment, Land and Parks, 1996)
- Elk Lake Sediment Analysis: a summary of results and implications for Phoslock (Nowak, 2016)
- Evaluation of remediation options for Elk/Beaver Lake, Victoria, BC (Nurnberg and Lazerte, 2016)
- Water Quality Sampling Program for Elk Lake 2014-15: overview, status and phosphorus budget (Nordin, 2015)
- Elk and Beaver Lakes Fish Inventory (Hemmera Envirochem Inc, 2017)
- Aquatic Plant Workshop and Survey Summary Results (CRD, 2016)
- Cleaning up Elk and Beaver Lakes: what can be learned from other lakes (Environmental Law Centre, University of Victoria, 2015)
- Bottom Sediment Analysis of Elk Lake (student project, Julio Flores and Queen Esther Nankabirwa, 2017)
About Elk/Beaver Lake