Victoria, BC - The Capital Regional District (CRD) reminds residents to make the 3Rs part of their holiday season. Reduce consumption by giving gifts that create memories, not garbage, reuse items like colour comics by re-purposing them as gift wrap and recycle paper gift wrap, clean containers and cardboard.
“The holidays tend to be a time when we see an increase in consumer consumption habits. Due to the success of our holiday recycling educational campaigns and more sustainable consumer choices by residents, we haven’t seen an increase in the amount of waste entering the landfill over the past several holiday seasons. The amount of recyclables at the curb, however, does increase significantly in December and January” said Russ Smith, Senior Manager of the Environmental Resource Management division at the CRD.
If you can’t reuse products, ensure you properly prepare recycling at the curb and remember:
- There are no limits on how many properly prepared blue boxes or bags or how much cardboard can be put out on your recycling day.
- Foil wrapping paper, plastic ribbons, bows and Styrofoam are not accepted in the curbside recycling program.
- Cardboard must be flattened and bundled with string (36”x18”x 8”).
- Properly prepared blue boxes, bags and cardboard should be put at the curb by 7:30 a.m. on your recycling day.
- Does your curbside recycling day fall on Christmas Day or New Year’s Day? Curbside collection for those dates will be moved to the following Saturday. Check your schedule for more information.
The CRD Curbside Recycling program services 118,000 homes in the region. This program is in place to reduce the amount of waste entering Hartland landfill and to recover valuable resources. For more information about eco-friendly holiday gift ideas and proper preparation, please visit our website or call the CRD Hotline at 250.360.3030.
For more information, please contact:
Monique Booth, Communications Coordinator