Victoria, BC‑ The Capital Regional District Board has adopted updates to bylaws for regulations, fines and fees in Regional Parks.
“The amendments are designed to address current and emerging park issues and to increase enforcement capacities in our parks and trails,” said CRD Board Chair Geoff Young.
The key bylaw amendments incorporated include:
- Updates to reflect the current CRD organizational structure and use of plain language
- Increased officer authorities to improve enforcement capacity (obstruction of park or peace officer included as a regulation with an associated fine)
- New recreational uses (e.g. camping) and use of technology (e.g mp3 players)
- Increased fines for tree cut or removal from $100 to $500
- Increased fines for consumption of alcohol from $100 to $200
- Increased illegal dumping from $100 to $200
“Regulations are designed to provide safer and more enjoyable park visitor experiences,” said CRD Regional Parks Chair Christopher Causton. “The changes provide Regional Parks with an updated set of regulations that will ensure a more efficient and effective response to managing and protecting resources and our park visitors.”
For further information, please contact:
Laurie Sthamann, Communications Coordinator
CRD Regional Parks
Tel: 250.360.3332 | Cell: 250.889.8030