Victoria, BC -The Capital Regional District is committed to safety and health for its employees and will be encouraging staff participation in training events and displays during North America Occupational Safety and Health (NAOSH) Week, May 5-9, 2008. On May 8, media are invited to attend the Safety Poster Awards Ceremony, which will take place at the Victoria Chinese Public School. Media are also invited, on May 9, to watch a demonstration of lifting the Selkirk Trestle on the Galloping Goose Trail.
Safety Poster Awards Ceremony
- Victoria Chinese Public School, 636 Fisgard Street
- Thursday, May 8, 2008 4:30pm
- CRD Staff will be on hand to answer questions
- The ceremony will include the following:
- Judging by David Ganong and Whyte Cheung; presentation of awards by Rob Fleming, MLA, Victoria – Hillside
- A Lion Dance will be performed by students of the Chinese Public School
- Presentation of awards and post awards celebration
Victoria’s Chinese Public School recently celebrated its 100th birthday. Safety posters created by the students will be displayed one week before the ceremony in the lobby of the CRD.
Selkirk Trestle Lift Demonstration
- Selkirk Trestle on the Galloping Goose Trail
- Friday, May 9, 2008 2pm
- CRD Regional Parks Staff will be on hand to answer questions
The demonstration includes the following three parts:
- There will be an historical bridge lift using a hand crank from the early 1900s. The lift takes 20 minutes and involves three people.
- A Fall Arrest will be part of the Bridge Annual Inspection. Five people will take part in the inspection, which will include checking the bridge’s bolts. A boat will also be on hand to ensure the workers’ safety.
- There will be an information table for hikers, providing tips on safe hiking.
Senior Manager, Human Resources