Water samples taken from Beaver Beach at Elk/Beaver Lake Regional Park, have tested positive for a type of blue-green algae that produces cyanotoxins.
Visitors are advised to avoid swimming at Beaver Lake and to keep animals on a leash to prevent them from drinking or swimming in the lake until the advisory has been lifted.
The algae usually produce a visible blue-green sheen, which appears as surface scum. Not all blooms are easy to see and toxins can still be present in the water even if you cannot see the blooms. Blooms are unpredictable and may occur at any time.
These algae are known toxin producers and these compounds have been detected previously at the park. Ingesting water containing these cyanotoxins may cause a range of symptoms, including headaches and abdominal pain in humans, and can lead to lethal liver damage in dogs. Read more>>