2013-2014 Holiday Recycling
The CRD wants to help you make it a "green" holiday season.
Here you'll find information on holiday waste reduction, gift ideas that will help create memories - not garbage, tips on properly preparing recyclables at the curb, Christmas light recycling locations and much more!
While the winter holiday season brings good cheer and great times with friends and family for many people, it also brings a lot more solid waste to the landfill. The quantity of trash generated during this time period increases dramatically as people shop more. Discarded items include holiday wrap, cards and ribbon, not to mention the enormous quantity of cans, bottles and plastic containers tossed after holiday celebrations.
Tips for Perfectly Prepared Curbside Recycling
During the Holidays
Blue Bag Tips:
- Paper gift wrap is accepted in the CRD Curbside Blue Bag.
- Plastic bows and ribbons are not accepted.
- Foil, cellophane and other non-paper gift wrap is not accepted
- Remove tape.
- This season tends to be rainy and windy. Make sure your paper is contained and not left to blow around your neighbourhood.
Blue Box Tip:
- Baking this holiday season? Clean, flattened aluminum foil can be placed in your blue box.
Cardboard Preparation Tips:
- Flatten and cut large cardboard bundles to size and then bundle them together with string or twine.
- If you prefer, you can simply cut cardboard down to size and place in a CRD blue bag, instead of tying it together and placing it beside your blue box and bag.
- Remove tape.
- Clean pizza boxes can be placed in cardboard bundles, along with regular cardboard.
This is also a great time of year to de-clutter your home or pass along items you no longer need or use. Visit myrecyclopedia.ca for a comprehensive list of materials and recycling options.
Green Gift Ideas
- Are you a conservation ambassador? Why not make a donation on behalf of family or friends?
- Get even closer to nature and encourage a healthy life style by experiencing our region’s natural habitats firsthand. Invite someone to hike one of our spectacular parks, such as Albert Head Lagoon Regional Park or Jordan River Regional Park Reserve.
- Know someone with an adventurous streak? Invite them to join you in one of their favourite activities.
- Polish off that glue gun or dust off those knitting needles and impress with handmade gifts.
- Give environmentally friendly gifts (cloth napkins, compost bin).
Green New Year's Resolution Ideas
- I promise to stop using disposable items, such as disposable batteries, razors or coffee cups.
- I promise to ‘choose to refuse’ plastic bags and instead remember to bring cloth bags when I go shopping.
- I promise to compost my kitchen scraps and yard and garden materials.
- I promise to take my household hazardous wastes (old paints, batteries, propane tanks, oil) to the local collection depot and pharmaceuticals to participating pharmacies.
- I promise to purchase materials with little or no packaging.