Check out this informational brochure on alternatives to pesticide use.
Growing Green Factsheet Series
The following factsheets provide information on healthy gardening techniques and provide tips on how to avoid those pesky pests.
- Aphid Factsheet (PDF )
- Beneficial Insects Factsheet (PDF )
- Black Spot of Rose Factsheet (PDF )
- Broad Leaf Weeds Factsheet (PDF )
- Caterpillar Factsheet (PDF )
- Codling Moth Factsheet (PDF )
- Cutworms Factsheet (PDF )
- Leather Jacket Factsheet (PDF )
- Root Weevils Factsheet (PDF )
- Slugs Factsheet (PDF )
- Spider Mites Factsheet (PDF )
- Yellow Jacket Factsheet (PDF )
Gardening Without Pesticides
The following resources are excellent for gardeners who want to control lawn and gardens pests naturally.
- South Island Organic Producers Association
- Gilkeson, Linda A. West Coast Gardening: Natural Insect, Weed and Disease Control. Victoria, BC:Trafford Publishing, 2006.
The following regulatory agencies manage pesticide use.
- Pesticide Use and Human Health (PDF )
- US Environmental Protection Agency, Healthy Lawn, Healthy Environment (PDF )
Interested in learning more about the movement toward the reduction and eventual elimination of the non-essential use of pesticides? Check out these Websites for more information.
- CEPA - Canadian Environmental Network
What are communities doing?
Pesticide-Use Bylaws in Canada
Find out how other cities in Canada have developed a pesticide use bylaw.
© Second image courtesy of Evan Leeson