For Business & At Work
Whether you are transforming how you and others travel to work, the products your organization buys, the products you sell, or the way in which you dispose of your waste, there are tremendous opportunities to go green in the workplace.
Check out the Resources section below for links to organizations that can help you reach your sustainability goals!
LiveSmart BC: Small Business Program
The Capital Regional District is proud to partner with City Green Solutions in executing the Province of BC's LiveSmart BC: Small Business Program.
With free advice and access to incentives, the LiveSmart BC: Small Business Program makes it easy for small businesses to save energy, and to be recognized for your actions.
If you are an owner or manager of a small or medium sized business in the capital region, you may be eligible for a free business energy assessment with a prioritized report on energy saving upgrade options for your business and how to access utility incentives to help pay for them. Your Advisor is available to offer a free-walk through assessment to identify potential energy and money saving opportunities, such as lighting, hot water, heating and ventilation improvements as well as low-to-no-cost behavioural changes.
If you do take action to save energy, your Advisor can nominate your business for recognition from LiveSmart BC. A recognition package includes a LiveSmart BC: Small Business Program certificate, window sticker, and use of the LiveSmart BC logo.
If you are located in Central Saanich, Esquimalt, North Saanich, Oak Bay, Saanich, Sidney, Victoria, Pender Island, Saturna Island, Mayne Island, Galiano Island or Salt Spring Island, contact:.
City Green Business Energy Advisor
250.381.9995 x. 117
If you are located in Colwood, Highlands, Langford, Metchosin, Sooke, View Royal or the Juan de Fuca electoral area, contact:
WestShore Chamber of Commerce
For more information about the program see:
What Happens During a Business Energy Assessment?
During a site visit of your business a Business Energy Advisor will:
- Conduct a free on-site assessment
- Interview a business representative about general energy concerns or comfort complaints
- Collect detailed information about the building lighting systems, and
- Collect basic information about windows and doors, heating, hot water, and ventilation systems
After your on-site energy assessment you will receive:
- A customized report with recommended energy saving upgrades, available rebates, and (when available) estimated energy savings and an estimated payback period for upgrade investments.
- Assistance connecting with utility-approved contractors
- Assistance with utility rebate application(s)
- Ongoing support and advice to assist with the completion of your energy upgrade.
How Do I Know if I am Eligible?
The eligibility criteria for this program include:
- The Business is a privately owned corporation, partnership or sole proprietorship
- The Business spends less than $200,000 annually on electricity
- The applicant is a for-profit business
- The Business is registered to operate within the Province of B.C.
- The Business has a commercial electrical account
- At least 50 per cent of the building in which the business operates is used for business purposes;
- The Business is not a residential building (e.g. condo or apartment building)
- The Business does not have a Key Account Manager with BC Hydro
- The Business has not participated in, nor is eligible for the LiveSmart BC: Efficiency Incentive Program (energy efficiency incentives for residential buildings)
For more information or to confirm your eligibility for a free assessment, see:
The CRD Climate Action Service, in partnership with the District of Saanich and the City of Victoria led the delivery of the Climate Smart Business Program in 2012/2013.
Climate Smart is a unique training program delivered to small and medium sized enterprises to help businesses measure their corporate greenhouse gas emissions. The goal is to support organizations from a variety of sectors to better understand corporate energy and fuel use. In addition to three group training workshops, Climate Smart provides one on one coaching to help participants identify the best ways to reduce their impact through policy changes, technology adoption and behaviour change programs.
A total of 79 businesses have taken the Climate Smart Program in the capital region. You can check out the Climate Smart Alumni Directory to learn about the incredible ways that Victoria based businesses are taking a leadership role on climate action.
GreenStart Small Business Pilot Program
Twenty small businesses and organizations from across the region participated in an innovative program to help reduce emissions! The diverse group of pilot participants were engaged in an approach to learn about those actions they can do to reduce their environmental impact in 6 key areas: energy efficiency, water conservation, transportation, waste reduction and pollution prevention, transportation and staff and community engagement.
The first cohort of the program was accepted in early November and the second round of the pilot began in February 2011. The pilot ran through June 30, 2011.
Final Report and Video
The following report describes the details of the program and the process which was undertaken to complete it. It also includes a short description of the participants and the actions they completed as a result of GreenStart.
Learn more about the program partners, process and participants:
This phase of GreenStart is complete; if you require further information or resources, or would be interested in participating in a program such as this in the future, let us know email.
There are many local organizations and businesses in the region that offer free information to help you achieve your sustainability goals. Links to some of these organizations and businesses are provided below:
Energy Efficiency & Conservation
|BC Hydro - Powersmart for Businesses|
|BC Hydro - Computers and Equipment|
|ENERGY Star in Canada|
|Bullfrog Power - 100% renewable electricity|
|CRD Water Conservation for Business|
|Inside the Bottle|
Transportation / Fleets
|Victoria Car Share Co-op|
|Bike to Work BC|
|Greater Victoria Cycling Coalition|
Waste Reduction & Pollution Prevention
|myrecylopedia - CRD Recycling Product Directory|
|Pedal to Petal Bicycle Compost Pick-up|
|reFUSE Resource Recovery|
|Buy Smart Network|
|BC Hydro - Creating a Sustainable Purchasing Policy|
|Metro Vancouver - Sustainable Purchasing Guide|
|The Story of Stuff - Online Video|
|BC Hydro Green Team Activation Workshop|
|David Suzuki Foundation - David Suzuki at Work|